Thursday, July 13, 2006

Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste)

Tonight I made Garlicky Kale with Tahini Dressing from Vegan with a Vengeance. But alas, I had just thrown out my six-month-old tahini, so I was fresh out. Rather than going to the store, I made this version. While it was a little chunky, it was still utterly delicious. Tahini by itself is a little bitter, but after my first taste, I just kept dipping my finger back in. There must be something in it that my body needs (calcium, maybe?).

1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 tsp black sesame oil
1/3 cup olive oil
water to thin

In a dry saucepan, toast the sesame seeds for 2 minutes, or until they start to turn golden. Then dump them out into a mortar and pestle (or food processor), let cool, and pound with a tiny bit of salt until they form coarse crumbs. Combine ground sesame seeds with the oils and water (start with just a splash) in a bowl (or food processor) and blend with a stick blender until smooth. Add water to achieve the consistency you desire.