Friday, January 18, 2008

Squash Patties






My mom used to make these when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure they're directly responsible for me liking squash. They're sweet and earthy. The texture is different depending on whether you bake or fry them -- I actually liked the baked ones a little better after they'd been in the fridge overnight.

1-1/2 cups cooked squash
1 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp plain soy yogurt
4 Tbsp honey, maple syrup or sugar

Mix all ingredients together to form a slightly stiff dough. Either bake at 450 degrees (in liberally oiled cast-iron muffin cups) or drop by teasponfuls into hot canola oil and fry.

Ingredient Notes: You can use canned, frozen or freshly cooked squash here. I used a mixture of delicata, acorn & sweet dumpling that I had previously roasted and frozen. I also used spelt flour, because that's what I have in the house.