Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Blackstrap Latte

So my latest bloodwork, while otherwise stellar (go go gadget vegan cholesterol!), shows me as anemic. Which is odd, because a) I donate blood regularly, and they'll turn you away if your iron's too low, and b) the last time I got bloodwork done, my iron was almost three times what it was in this most current batch. I'm thinking something's a little wonky, but hey. Whatever.

The doctor recommends I take two iron pills a day, but me and the iron pills don't get along so well. So while I'm taking one with my morning orange juice, I'm going to try two tablespoons of blackstrap molasses a day to make up the difference. It's a food, after all. And I always prefer to get my vitamins from food where I can. Problem is, I hate the taste blackstrap molasses. Seriously. It's nasty. It's so nasty, I've been referring to it as the Black Oil of Death.

But I got on the internets today, and I found that many people like it better when it's dissolved in vanilla soy milk. So tonight, before bed, I heated up a mugful of vanilla Silk and stirred in the blackstrap. Lo! It's actually tasty! Mild, creamy and kind of chocolatey. Score one for the internets!