Monday, August 07, 2006

Creamy 'Chikin' Pot Pie

When I first started eating vegetarian, I didn't understand the thriving market of meat substitutes. After all, I don't like the taste of meat... why would I try to replicate its taste and texture? And overall, I still think that new veg*ns are better off staying away from faux meaty/creamy favorites. Learn to love the new food for what it is, not as a pale substitute for remembered past glory.

Still, the longer I do this, the more I see the necessity of occasionally replicating those favorite comfort foods. The better you can satisfy a craving, the less likely you are to fall off the wagon. If you can convince your body and your brain that the way you eat is now is just as good (if not better) than how you ate before, you're much more likely to stick with it.

Today was a hard day. Two of my recently acquired office fish died over the weekend. When I came home, I just wanted a taste of the past. Of comfort. Of home.

2/3 cup faux-chicken tenders (White Wave chickeny seitan would work well here), diced
1 cob of corn, kernels cut off
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 med carrot, diced
1 head baby garlic (or 2-3 cloves), smashed
1 cups Imagine creamy portobello soup
1/2 cup dry cashew gravy mix
1/3 cup Vegenaise
a few shakes each pepper and celery flakes
1/4 tsp sage
1 package (6) puff pastry shells

Set out the puff pastry and the faux-chicken bits to thaw. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Steam the carrots for a few minutes, or until tender. Put the carrots, faux-chicken bits, peas, and corn in the bottom of a pie plate.

Meanwhile, combine the soup and cashew gravy mix in a small saucepan and cook until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in sage, pepper, celery flakes and Vegenaise. Pour the mixture over the veggies.

Set the thawed puff pastry shells on top, brush or spray with oil, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until browned and puffed up.