Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Creamy Artichoke Dip

This went like crazy at the Mardi Gras party. Which is fabulous, because it must have taken all of 5 minutes to whip up. The boy and I ate the leftovers with a spoon after work today. I based this on a recipe from the marvelous Eat Air.

1/2 cup eggless mayo (I used Vegenaise)
2 tsp country-style dill mustard
1/2 tsp dried dill
pepper to taste
1/3 cup vegan mozzarella (optional)
2 garlic cloves, smooshed
10-15 marinated artichoke hearts
breadcrumbs or crushed pita chips

Combine the mayo, mustard, dill, mozzarella, pepper, garlic cloves and half the artichoke hearts. Puree with a stick blender until creamy. Stir in the remaining artichoke hearts and mash with a fork until there are no chunks left. Top with breadcrumbs or pita chips and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until bubbly.

Serve with pita chips!

Ingredient Notes: I use a dill-flavored grainy mustard we get at our local farmer's market. I'm sure you could use any mustard, but a grainy one would be best. Your typical yellow sandwich mustard might be a tad weird. Dijon would probably work well.

I've heard that Vegenaise is the best of the faux mayos, so that's all I've ever used.