Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Red Beans & Rice

I know, I know. Another red beans and rice recipe. Apparently, I can't be stopped. Or make it the same. Ever.

2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
water
1 slice tempeh bacon, thawed and crumbled (optional)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
2 bay leaves
1 smooshed chipotle pepper (optional)

1 cup red rice
2 cups water
1/8 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp olive oil

Puree the tomatoes with their juice. Combine the tomato puree, beans, tempeh bason, liquid smoke, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves and chipotle pepper in a crockpot or large soup pot. Add water until the liquid is just below the level of the beans. Cook, covered, for as long as you can stand it to let the flavors meld. (I regularly let it cook in the crock pot for 3-4 hours.) When ready to serve, puree part of the mixture with a stick blender and return it to the pot.

Combine the rice, water, Cajun seasoning and olive oil in a saucepan and simmer until the water is mostly absorbed. Add the cooked rice to the bean mixture and stir well. Serve hot!

Ingredient Notes: I usually use LightLife's Fakin' Bacon, which is in the frozen case at New City Market. If you can't find it, you could use Baco's or just add a little more liquid smoke. The chipotle pepper adds a little more smoky heat. I buy cans of chipotle peppers in adobo at Target, then use them just a little at a time (I keep the remainder in a jar in the fridge, and it lasts forever). You could use any kind of rice here. I just happen to have 5 pounds of red rice. (Plus, I like the idea of red beans w/ red rice. But that's just me.)

This is really good on tortilla chips, topped with just a little chipotle Tobasco. Num!