Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Adventures in homemade soy milk

So because my parents are extraordinarily understanding (and well trained), I got a soy milk maker for my birthday this year. I just took it for its first spin, and I have to say I'm very impressed! It's not exactly the same as store bought, but it's really very tasty. To me, it tastes a little more like rice milk than traditional soy milk, but it's very good indeed. Hooray! I think next time I'll try brown rice and barley, which I've heard thickens it up a bit.

I have to give props to Bryanna's homemade soy milk FAQ, which I religiously studied before attempting anything.

Ingredients
1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp dry soybeans
3 Tbsp rice
2-3 Tbsp brown rice syrup
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
water

Equipment
SoyQuick soy milk maker
colander
cheesecloth or muslin (I used the tofu cloth that came with the soy milk maker)
whisk
kitchen gloves
large glass jar w/ lid (I used a former home for artichoke hearts from Costco)

Follow Bryanna's instructions to the letter. Let the soy milk cool completely in the refrigerator before greedily sucking it down.

Ingredient Notes: I used red cargo rice, which turned the milk slightly pink. The last time I was at Costco, I picked up a huge bottle of organic pancake syrup for $3, which turned out to be brown rice syrup plus butter pecan flavoring. That's what I used in this recipe, and it's delicious. I've been using RealSalt lately, which is a mineral salt from Utah. And I used the Laura soybeans that came with the soy milk maker, although tomorrow I'm going to pick up regular dried soybeans from the health food store. Next time, I think I'll experiment with a little less water... this batch turned out just a little watery for my taste.