Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Ultimate Homemade Soy Milk Recipe

I've made 5 or 6 batches now, and this is definitely the approach I like best. I don't bother rubbing the hulls off the soy beans. The barley and cashews add creaminess and thickness. I'm not sure how much difference the maltose makes, but it was cheap at our local Asian market. It tastes amazing.... just like store-bought, according to my boy.

1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp soy beans
2 Tbsp brown rice
1 Tbsp pearled barley
1 Tbsp raw cashews
1 cap vanilla extract
1 glop maltose
2 hefty glugs brown rice syrup
a sprinkling of salt

Fill the machine to the minimum water level. Strain finished product through a cotton bag (like the produce bags I got at reusablebags.com), using kitchen gloves. Add the vanilla, sweetener to taste and salt. Whisk and taste, then pour into a glass jar and let cool.