Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Crock Pot French Toast

So damn easy. I was fairly tipsy last night, and I still managed to throw this together before bed. And in the morning, French toast! This is a little more like a French toast bread pudding than its fried counterpart, but still so good.
1 loaf challah (I got mine fresh from La Mie)
5-6 eggs
2/3 cup Rumchata
1-1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I used flax milk)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp cinnamon
Spray your crock pot with oil. (I forgot this step, and it stuck mightily.) Beat the eggs and mix with the Rumchata, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Layer the challah slices in the crock pot, pouring a little of the egg mixture over each layer. Make sure all the bread is soaked. Cook on low for 6 hours. In the morning, slice and serve topped with berry syrup:
1 cup frozen berries (I used raspberries and blueberries)
2/3 cup honey
Heat until bubbling. Cook for 5-10 minutes to boil off some of the excess juice and to let the pectin firm up.