Friday, May 28, 2010

On the whys and hows of vegetarianism in Des Moines

I've been enjoying the conversation over at Locally Grown about Des Moines' vegetarian options. In a recent comment thread, InthewaterDSM expressed dismay at encountering preachy vegans and asked why people become vegetarians.

This was my response:

I agree completely that preachy vegans can be just as annoying as any other sort of evangelist. I don’t believe in bashing other people for their lifestyle choices.

I originally went vegetarian just to see if I could. Giving up something deliberately in our culture of excess seemed like a worthy experiment.

As for why I stuck with it, I’ve got several reasons: my health (a plant-based diet allows me to forgo cholesterol medication), concerns about large-scale animal-based industry and environmental impact, and yes, even some ethical reasons. But primarily? I like the way it tastes. Vegetarian food at its finest is interesting, diverse and damn tasty.

I think there’s an absolutely valid case to be made for almost anyone to *reduce* their consumption of animal products. If someone asks me (as you’ve done), I’ll tell them why I do it. But I have no interest in making converts. I think people should be aware of where their food comes from, how it impacts the world around them, and then eat what sits best with their body, mouth and conscience.

I like eating plants, therefore I do. I don’t miss meat. I’m healthy and happy. Others may eat what they like; it doesn’t affect me and my choices.