Monday, February 06, 2006

Black Bean Sweet Potato Hash

I adapted this from The Big Book of Vegetarian. The prep work can seem a little intimidating on a week night, but we came up with a brilliant plan. While I did yoga in the living room, I got my boy to do all the chopping. Thus, when I was ready to cook (and damn near starving), all I had to do was tip my bowls of pre-chopped ingredients into the pan like some kind of demented hippie Martha. This was surprisingly delicious... I think it's going to become a staple around these parts.

1 largish sweet potato, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
salt to taste
3/4 cup veggie broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped or torn into little bits

Heat the olive oil in a large pan (I used a soup pan). Add the sweet potato and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are beginning to brown. Add the spices and veggie broth - cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is no longer soupy. Add the corn and black beans and cook for a few more minutes, or until everything is piping hot. Stir in the cilantro and serve.