Thursday, February 02, 2006

Baked Salmon Patties w/ Steamed Broccoli

I don't really remember where I came up with this recipe. My mother used to make fried salmon patties when I was young, and this is definitely inspired by that childhood taste memory. All I know is that it's 1) my favorite way to eat salmon, 2) the only way I can bear to eat sardines (both salmon and sardines are good sources of essential fatty acids, which help lower cholesterol), and 3) an incredibly adaptable pantry recipe that I can whip up just about any time with things I have on hand. I've made endless variations on this, and it always turns out fabulous.

2 6 oz. cans salmon, drained and flaked
1 can sardines in mustard sauce, drained and flaked
1 egg white
1/4 cup hummus
1 tsp dill mustard
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/2 cup cornmeal
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
salsa

Mix the fish, egg white/tofu, hummus, mustard, bread crumbs and dill together into a bowl. Grease a baking pan with olive oil. Using clean hands, roll the salmon mixture into balls and flatten into patties. Dredge in cornmeal and place in baking pan. Drizzle the tops with more olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve with your favorite organic salsa (we like the chipotle flavored kind).

Ingredient Notes: If you don't have eggs on hand, you can substitute 1/4 cup plain yogurt (soy or otherwise) or tofu cream cheese for the egg white. The hummus is also optional, but I think it lends a nice flavor... if you leave it out, double the amount of egg whites or equivalent substitute. If you don't have or don't want to use sardines, you can substitute another 6 oz. can of salmon or albacore tuna. I've added more bread crumbs and nutritional yeast to the cornmeal crust for a slightly different texture. If you don't have bread crumbs, cracker crumbs or even tortillas run through a food processor work equally well.

----------

Steamed Broccoli

1 head broccoli
water to cover
1 healthy sprinkling lime juice
1/4 tsp toasted dark sesame oil
1 large pinch nutritional yeast (optional)

Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and cook in the water until still bright green but pierceable with a fork. Drain. Toss with lime juice, sesame oil, and nutritional yeast and serve.