Sunday, February 26, 2006

Soba with Gluten, Tomatoes, Tofu & Basil

Last night we had the soba with tomatoes, tofu & basil again. This time we doubled the recipe (for many tasty leftovers) and added a can of braised wheat gluten (also called seitan), which we picked up at the Asian market yesterday. The wheat gluten is actually the reason we sought out the market, because the wheat protein medallions are so tasty, so meltingly tender, and so interesting on the tongue.

I had never even tasted wheat gluten before I ordered it at Taste of Thailand a few months ago. It's got completely different taste and texture than tofu, and it's a nutritional powerhouse. I was so impressed that I ordered it at Saigon Cafe a few weeks ago, and now I get cravings for it. I saw a jar of it at Campbell's for $7, and I'm glad I waited to get it at Double Dragon, where each can runs $1.50.

All in all, it's a worthy addition to any veg*n diet.