Sunday, June 18, 2006

Garden Greens Soup

I made this up on the spot tonight when my proud gardener boy presented me with several bowls of freshly picked greens from the back yard. I needed something light and filling to take to work tomorrow... on Tuesday I'm getting my first cholesterol test in 5 months. Wish me luck...

1 veg bouillon cube
4 cups water
2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
1 jar diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup quinoa
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 bunch kale, washed and trimmed
1 bunch swiss chard, washed and trimmed
ground pepper to taste
2 dashes Tobasco
2 dashes lime juice

Boil 2 cups of the water and pour over the bouillon cube. Stir to dissolve. Pour into the bottom of a large soup pot. Add the garlic, tomatoes, beans, quinoa, nutritional yeast and remaining water and turn on high. Boil for 5-10 minutes, or until the quinoa start rising to the top. Lower the heat to a simmer and add kale & swiss chard. Cook for another 3 minutes, or until the greens are wilted. Season to taste with pepper, Tobasco and lime juice.