Sunday, June 25, 2006

Pesto Pizzas

I mourned pizza when I had to give up cheese. I deeply love pizza with all of my being, and I was just sure that you couldn't do pizza without cheese. Our first store-bought frozen no-cheese pizza held up that suspicion by being soggy and un-pizza-like. But these were delicious, and just salty and surprising enough that cheese honestly could not have improved them.

2 store-bought mini pizza crusts (or thick pita breads)
1/3 cup pesto
1 heirloom tomato, sliced thinly, goopy bits removed
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
10ish mushroom slices
4 basil leaves, sliced thinly
4-5 artichoke hearts, mashed lightly

Spread the pizza crusts with the pesto, then top with everything else in whatever order you desire. I put the tomatoes on first, followed by the mushrooms, artichoke hearts, garlic and basil. Spray the tops of the pizzas with baking spray and pop in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, or until the crusts are browned and the veggies look delicious!