Monday, June 12, 2006

Super-Creamy Guacamole w/ Homemade Corn Chips

Boy, it's a good thing I got over my childhood aversion to avocadoes. Since I've started following a vegan diet, they have been my salvation. They're the perfect creamy/rich stand-in for cheese and sour cream in a Mexican meal, and they're just so damn good on toasted hummus sandwiches. While we were in Houston last month, we went to a Mexican restaurant that made its guacamole tableside, and it had a particularly creamy depth to it that I've been craving ever since. I tried to make it last week from a recipe and failed utterly; this time around I did much better. Sinful delight! (And since my boy doesn't like guac, I had it all to myself. Mua-ha-ha!)

Guacamole
1/2 avocado
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
salt & pepper to taste
2 tsp chipotle garlic salsa
1/2 Tbsp cilantro leaves, minced very finely

Chips
4 corn tortillas
salt to taste
baking spray

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lay the 4 tortillas on a baking sheet. Spray them with the baking spray. Flip and spray again. Slice each tortilla into quarters, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 5-10 minutes, or just until they're starting to get golden. Don't let them burn!

While the chips are cooling, mash all guacamole ingredients together in a bowl. Serve immediately and relish your avacado-laden decadence!