Thursday, March 02, 2006

Florentine Noodle Casserole

This is adapted from the Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, which I found at the local library this weekend. I left it in the oven far too long, which made it pretty mushy. However, I was blown away by the flavor of the sauce. I've tried other mac-and-cheese-like concoctions, and all of them were pretty gross. This one surprised me. We'll definitely be having it again.

1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup Bulk Uncheese Mix
1 Tablespoon white miso
1/2 cup water
1 tsp dried mustard
Tobasco to taste
1 Tbsp lemon juice, or to taste

Mix all of the above in a bowl and blend until very smooth (I used an immersion blender).

10 oz. spinach, washed and drained
4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
8 oz. penne pasta, cooked until al dente

Lay the spinach in the bottom of a glass cooking dish. Mix the pasta and sundried tomatoes together and spread over the spinach. Top with the white bean sauce. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes... just until the sauce heats through. Serve immediately.