Thursday, March 02, 2006

Vegan for Lent

I don't normally observe Lent. I wasn't raised Catholic, and it wasn't even until high school that I knew that such a thing existed. In past years, I've made light of the rite of penance by giving up boys (when I was dating girls), red meat (when I was a vegetarian), or socks (Jesus never wore socks!).

Still, I like the idea of occasionally shedding some of our metaphysical baggage. Really getting back to the core of things. So for the next 40 days, I'll be doing my best to go meat and dairy free. This isn't much of a shift from our current diet, but it's significant nonetheless. For instance, a group we belong to is having a get-together at Perkins next weekend. What can a meatless, dairy-free girl eat at Perkins?

I'm sure it will be challenging, and I don't have any idea whether I'll stick to veganism after Easter. I'm very much looking forward to it, though. There's nothing like scarcity to spark culinary creativity.