Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Savory Chickpea Relish

Making cauliflower curry last night, I was hit by just how much I love Pickapeppa sauce. I had never even heard of it until I checked out Crescent Dragonwagon's The Passionate Vegetarian from the local library. And hoo boy, am I glad I decided to pick some up at the store. Since I'm obsessed with tamarind, it's no surprise that I love it so much.

So last night I had some leftover chickpeas from a gargantuan can of them we bought at Sam's, and it hit me like a train... wouldn't it be great if I mixed chickpeas with Pickapeppa sauce... and some pickle relish, maybe?... and stuffed it into warm pita bread? Heaven! Lunch today revealed that it is, indeed, a divinely inspired flavor combination.

1 cup (1/2 can) cooked chickpeas, drained
1-2 Tbsp Pickapeppa sauce
1-2 tsp sweet pickle relish
a hefty sprinkle each:
- curry powder
- nutritional yeast (optional)
pita bread

Mix the chickpeas, Pickapeppa, relish, curry powder and nut. yeast together and let sit overnight. Lightly toast the pita bread in your office's kitchen toaster, stuff with chickpea mixture and delight!