Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Baked Zesty Plantains

I always loved fried plantains in restaurants, but I'd never thought to make them at home until a vegan blog (sorry, I don't remember which one!) mentioned having them with black beans. I drooled, I fantasized, I set out to make these. Plus, organic plantains are cheap! Cheaper than bananas! We had this with Black Bean Sweet Potato Hash, and I think I'm going to need to go get some more. Fabulous!

2 ripe (mostly black) plantains
2 Tbsp coconut rum
2 Tbsp lime juice
canola oil spray
dash salt

Spray a baking dish liberally with canola oil. Peel the plantains, slice them lengthwise and cut into pieces a few inches long. Lay the slices cut side up in the baking dish. Sprinkle with coconut rum and lime juice, then spray the tops liberally with more canola oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt, then cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until browned and smelling so damn good you have to rush out and gobble them up.